Christmas Goodies + A Salad!

|
Happy Day-Before-New-Years-Eve, all! On Monday evening, The Fiance and I emerged unscathed from 5 Christmas celebrations, 9+ hours of driving, and 2+ miles of ice-covered highways. We rejoiced by watching 6 episodes of Dexter, Season 3 in 24 hours (one of the many coveted Christmas gifts). I also delighted in unpacking the rest of my gifts, many of which were kitchen-oriented! In addition to a lovely tart pan and new baking sheets (the old ones are practically bent in half with wear), I got these awesome things which I thought I'd share.

First and foremost, my mother bought me this beautiful Williams Sonoma personalized artichoke apron! It is so beautiful, and I cannot wait to have it take the brunt of grease spattering instead of my sweaters.


Then we have an extreme close-up (WOOOAHHH!) of sunshiney Rachel Ray-brand measuring cup-mixing bowls. The biggest one holds up to 12 cups of liquid.

And last, but certainly not least, fun kitchen tools! An awesome set of odd-numbered measuring spoons and cups (things like 2 cups, 3/4 cups, and 1 1/2 teaspoons--yipee!!) courtesy of my mother, and an interchangeable grater/mandoline complete with a tupperware component, courtesy of Grandma & Grandpa. I think I'm in love with it.


I got to use my fun mandoline-tupperware toy tonight, while making a salad. I don't know about you, but my holidays did not include a lot of vegetables. I came out of the week with two brand new pimples named "Fat" and "Sugar." So, this salad (which accompanied a meal I cannot blog about until later) wound up being refreshing in more ways than one.


Easy Thai Tossed Green Salad (yoinked from About.com)
-1 small head romaine or leaf lettuce (enough to serve 2-3 people)
-2 green onions, sliced
-1/2 - 1 cucumber (see slicing directions below)
-1 cup fresh coriander or cilantro, roughly chopped
-1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
-3 tablespoons coconut milk
-1 tablespoon lime juice
-1 tablespoon fish sauce (or 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce to make it vegetarian)
-1 -2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 teaspoon brown sugar
-1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1. Tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl, along with the green onions and basil.
2. If you're in a hurry, slice the cucumber as you normally would. For a fancier presentation, you can use a vegetable peeler or mandoline to get long, pretty slices. If the slices are too long, you can cut them into halves or thirds.
3. Add cucumber and coriander / cilantro to the bowl; toss well.
4. In a separate small bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients to make a salad dressing. Whisk well with a fork until the sugar dissolves.
5. Pour dressing over salad; toss well. You may top with basil, spring onions, or edible flowers for a nice presentation, if you wish. Serve immediately.

Yield: 2-3 servings.
Calories: Unknown, as of now, but certainly nothing harmful. The worst part of this salad is the coconut milk and brown sugar, which aren't too bad when split between 2-3 people. AND I didn't add all the salad dressing, because I don't like slimy salad, so that's even better.

A note about my making of this recipe: My neighborhood Meijer's, for being a super-mega-monster grocery store, frequently lacks common items. Yesterday, they were inexplicably out of cilantro. Apparently cilantro is a hot item at the end of December. Anyway, they had cilantro puree in a tube. Given that I needed quite a bit of cilantro for this salad, I bit the bullet and bought the tube-cilantro. I added a few good squeezes of it to the salad dressing, and everything was right with the world (except that we had to pay $4 instead of $0.89). It was still yummy!

1 comments:

Lo said...

Love the Thai salad! I could imagine that would be amazing tucked into a pita with some of that leftover satay.

Post a Comment