White Bean and Chicken Chili

|

So, it may not be much to look at, but I guarantee that this is one of the most delicious recipes in my repertoire. I found this recipe randomly during my Junior year of college and have treasured it ever since. I made it for the fine attendees at my "Chili & Beer" party (it was one of three chilis featured, and the only one I have an actual recipe for). There was some confusion--"It's chili? Really? But....there's chicken in it. And no tomatoes." I assured them that it may not look like chili, but it tastes like chili. And, as one of my friends said the instant after her first bite, "Oh, my. This is heavenly. I, um...I'm going to need the recipe."

White Bean and Chicken Chili (from an un-remembered internet site, but credited to a woman named Violet Carey of Louisville Kentucky)
-3 (15 oz) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
-6 c. chicken broth
-2 med. chopped onions, divided use
-2 tbsp. olive oil
-1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch dice
-2 (4 oz) cans diced green chiles
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-2 tsp. ground cumin
-1 1/2 tsp. crushed, dried oregano
-1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
-1 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

1. Place beans, chicken broth and half the onions in a large pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, and when hot, but not smoking, add onions and saute until tender. Stir in the chicken and saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked. Add green chiles, garlic, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes and stir until well combined. Transfer mixture to bean pot and season with salt and pepper. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until flavors are well blended. Add more water or stock, if needed (I don't recommend this, and I DEFINITELY recommend letting this stew for an hour!)
3. Serve warm, garnished with sour cream, cheddar cheese and salsa, if desired (it really doesn't need any of these things, but I'm sure it'd be good, too)

-8 servings
-Sorry, no calorie or exchange info readily available. I'll work on this!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I've known Violet all my life and I can tell you this is an awesome recipe!!

Heather said...

Really?? That's so awesome! Please pass on how much I adore her recipe!

Post a Comment