Cheeseburger Pizza.....with Pickles!

|
While in Minnesota for a friend's wedding, Greg and I had the immense pleasure of getting takeout from Old World Pizza in Inver Grove Heights (a suburb of Minneapolis). The only reason was because they had a Cheeseburger Pizza that included dill pickle slices in the toppings. There wasn't even a question of whether or not we would get it, we just did. And my god, if it wasn't one of the most fantastic pizzas I've ever had (you can find my drooling, glowing review on Yelp). It just goes to show that truly great pizza isn't only found in Chicago or New York, but in the most random places.

Greg and I were anxious to recreate this pizza and decided to give it a try last night. While it was nowhere near as good as the one at Old World Pizza (for several reasons, but one being that we didn't put a pound of mozzarella on it, I'm sure). We don't have a hard and fast recipe, but I'll try my best. I highly recommend creating your own! It'll knock your socks off.....if you're a pickle lover.


Cheeseburger Pizza

-1 premade pizza crust (we used wheat, but use whatever you like)
-1/4 cup tomato sauce
-A few heaping spoonfuls of tomato paste--enough to really thicken the tomato sauce
-1/2 lb ground beef (or slightly less)
-1/4 cup chopped onions
-Italian seasoning
-Garlic (both +/- 1 tsp. minced and the powder-form)
-+/- 1 generous tablespoon Ketchup
-+/- 1 generous tablespoon Mustard (we used a stone ground, because we were out of plain yellow)
-Salt & Pepper
-Dill pickle slices (for hamburgers, the jar will say)
-Grated sharp cheddar (or whatever cheese you want...in the future, we'll add mozzarella)

1. Saute the ground beef and onion together until browned. Drain off excess grease. Set aside.
2. Mix tomato sauce & paste until thick-ish, like a pizza sauce. Add the minced garlic, ketchup, mustard and mix well. Spread sauce on the pizza crust.
3. Add a light sprinkling of cheese on top of the sauce. Spread the ground beef & onion mix uniformly on top of the cheese.
4. Pat your pickle slices dry with paper towel, then add them to the pizza.
5. Tap some garlic powder and Italian Seasoning all across the pizza. Smother with your desired amount of shredded cheese.
6. Bake at 425 for about 12 minutes or until heated through with melty cheese. Mmmm....

-Calories: I don't know and I don't want to know.

6 comments:

monkeydawl05 said...

I want that now!!! It looks and sounds amazing. Unfortunately for me I live with unadventurous pizza eaters. They like sausage and pepperoni and thats about it lol

Lauren said...

That sounds really good, but I don't think I could convince Ben to eat it, unfortunately... :)

Heather said...

Monkeydawl05: Awww...picky eaters are unfortunate! Perhaps get one of the two-crust packs and make one adventurous pie for yourself and one "safe" pie for them (plus then, they may be enticed to try yours out)? :)

Lauren: What does Ben not like? Pickles? Tell him I hate him! ;)

Lo said...

Have always been intrigued by the idea of a cheeseburger pizza, but we've never tried our own. I'd imagine the type of sauce used on the pizza is probably pretty key to the success of this recipe, no? I'm thinking one would want to avoid a terribly highly seasoned sauce?

Heather said...

Lo-- That's definitely the case. We didn't have much seasoning in the pizza--just a healthy dose of garlic, and a light sprinkling of the aforementioned spices. I think it's important to put in the ketchup and mustard, though. It could all be retooled to be even better than what we made....but there's plenty of time for making it again. :)

Anonymous said...

A simple good search for "cheeseburger pizza pickles" brought me right to this blog. What's interesting to me is that this post is actually very recent.

I too had a cheeseburger pizza in Minnesota and yes it had pickles. I live in Denver and have been scouring the city in search of something similar for months to no avail.

Thanks!

Post a Comment