Double Shot Mocha Cupcakes

|
Today is a coworker's birthday, and she and I have a fierce love of all things coffee. As such, I decided to make her a recipe I saw on Love and Olive Oil and have wanted to try for quite some time: Double-Shot Mocha Cupcakes.

It didn't occur to me until after I tried one (duh, I know), but these are vegan cupcakes. The frosting can easily be made vegan, too, by substituting margarine (or a strictly vegan kind of margarine) or crisco for the butter. I didn't make the frosting vegan, but I'm willing to bet it would still be great.

These cupcakes are amazing. They are not as heavily coffee flavored as I would've hoped, but they are moist and very chocolatey, so they get the job done!


Double-Shot Mocha Cupcakes
(from Love and Olive Oil)

Cupcakes:
-1 cup coconut milk
-1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or 1/2 tablespoon ground coffee (**NOTE: I used instant coffee granules dissolved in the tiniest bit of hot water, since I do not have a fine mesh sieve as in the directions below)
-1/3 cup canola oil
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-3/4 cup sugar
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1/3 cup cocoa powder
-3/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt

Frosting:
-1/4 cup cocoa powder
-2 cups powdered sugar
-1/2 cup butter
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-3 tablespoons brewed coffee (cooled)
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with paper liners.

2. In a microwave safe bowl, heat coconut milk until hot (but not boiling). Stir in espresso powder. If you don’t have espresso powder, put coffee grounds into a fine sieve. Pour coconut milk over grounds and allow to seep through. You will end up with a few grounds in your milk this way, but it won’t affect the final product.

3. Whisk sugar, oil, and vanilla extract in to coffee mixture. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to wet ingredients and beat until no lumps remain (or very few remain).

4. Pour into liners, filling each with a scant 1/4 cup of batter. Bake 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.

5. For frosting, sift together powdered sugar, cocoa. Cream butter and add to sugar mixture slowly. Add salt, and coffee. Beat 2 minutes. Add vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.

4 comments:

Lo said...

I'll take moist and chocolatey any day, really. But, add a little bit of coffee flavor, and I'm hooked. Think ramping up the espresso flavor would be a bad idea?

Heather said...

No, I think ramping up the coffee flavor is an excellent idea. In fact, the next time I make these (which I definitely will), I plan to do exactly that.

I cannot recommend making these enough. Comments I heard today were, "Those are one of the best cupcakes I've ever had in my life," and "That cupcake was delicious beyond words." If that isn't a glowing recipe recommendation, I don't know what is. :)

d.n.williamson said...

(I went to high school with Greg, incase you were wondering how I stumbled upon your blog...he gave you a shout out on FB). I'm REALLY excited to have another egg-less cake recipe to add to my collection. Can't wait to try these out on my mother-in-law who LOVES mocha drinks/desserts AND is deathly allergic to eggs. I feel like I am always rotating the same few egg-less desserts when they come. So thanks for giving me some new ammo!

Heather said...

Hi D.N. I'm glad I could help! If you can infuse more coffee/espresso flavor into the cake and/or frosting, I would do so. If not, it's still great on its own. I'm sure your mother-in-law will love them!

Post a Comment