Sunday Morning Bliss Muffins

|
A.K.A. Apple-Walnut Spice Muffins. Or some other kind of name that conveys the warm, comforting, apple-crunchy-nutty-cinnamon-y-ness of these muffins. Whatever you want to call them is completely up to you. The person who comes up with the best name will be dubbed Ruler of Awesome Nomenclatures.

I woke up to howling kittens on Sunday morning. It was 6:30 a.m. and they were pissed that Food Lady wasn't even making noises that suggested getting fed. So, Food Lady (having gone to bed at an embarrassingly early hour) got up to satiate the beasts. Feeling a rumble in my belly and a pang of sympathy and love for my poor ailing fiance, I thought I would wake him with the cozy scent of freshly baked muffins and coffee. Really, is there anything better on a cold, dreary weekend morning?

I used this basic muffin recipe found on Allrecipes.com, but added in an apple, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. I really did want to make this recipe lower fat, but we didn't have the necessary ingredients to do so. But next time, I definitely will, as I hear the muffin recipe is quite forgiving of any changes you want to make to it.


Sunday Morning Bliss Muffins
-2 cups flour
-3 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-3/4 cup sugar
-1 egg
-1 cup milk
-1/4 cup oil
-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/4 teaspoon ginger
-1/4 teaspoon allspice
-About 1 cup apples, chopped
-About 1/3 cup walnut pieces

1. Preheat oven to 425.

2. Stir together all dry ingredients. Make a well in the center.

3. In a small bowl, beat egg with a fork. Stir milk and oil into the egg. Pour all at once into the well made in the flour mixture. Mix quickly and lightly with the fork--don't beat! Mix just so everything is incorporated. Batter will be lumpy. Gently stir in the apples and walnuts.

4. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray, or line with paper muffin cups. Pour mixture evenly into each cup.

5. Once you place muffin tray in the oven, reduce heat to 400 (the initial heat will make the muffins tent up). Bake 25 minutes, or until golden-brown.

-Servings: 12
-Calories: 181, Fat: 5.6g (for basic muffin recipe--not with anything else I added)

Notes: To make this recipe low-fat/no-fat, substitute 1/4 cup egg beaters for the egg. Then, in place of the oil, substitute either 1/4 cup non-fat plain yogurt or 1/4 cup applesauce. They will still be yummy and moist, I promise.

2 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

Heather, are the apples peeled? Maybe that's a stupid question, but I'm not much of a cook....

Heather said...

No, not a stupid question--just an oversight on my part. :)

I did not peel them (I am so very, very lazy sometimes), and it didn't affect the muffins at all. I mean to say, I didn't notice the peel bits at all. However, if you choose to peel them, I'm sure they'd also be great!

Post a Comment