Artichoke Spinach Lasagna

|
Back before I kept all the recipes I want to try in a saved email draft, I used to print out recipes and store them in a binder. I also did this with Cooking Light recipes once I'd accumulated approximately 19,000 magazines and needed to move to another apartment. I'm left with two binders born of construction paper, glue, and hours of poring over old Cooking Light issues and various websites. I love them dearly.

One recipe I've had for at least five years but hadn't tried is Artichoke Spinach Lasagna. Why I never got around to trying it out, I'm not sure. Was I all like, "Ooh, artichokes and feta. Ouch. Did anyone else just feel my wallet lose 5 pounds?" Who knows.



Artichoke Spinach Lasagna (from Allrecipes.com)
-Cooking Spray
-9 uncooked lasagna noodles
-1 onion, chopped
-4 cloves garlic, chopped
-1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
-1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
-1 (14 ounce) can marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
-1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
-1 (28 ounce) jar tomato pasta sauce
-3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
-1 (4 ounce) package herb and garlic feta, crumbled (**NOTE: If you can avoid getting "fat free" herbed feta, I suggest doing so. I just think fat free feta is the grossest tasting thing ever, and I got it on accident. Yuck. It didn't ruin this dish, but it would've been better with fatty fat fat feta instead.)

Optional Ingredients I added:
-1 brick firm or extra-firm tofu, cut into small cubes (let's get a "Hell Yeah" for protein!)
-Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasoning, Fennel, and Garlic Powder to taste (because seriously...I don't know how it would've been much good without adding spices)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

3. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Saute onion and garlic (and tofu) for 3 minutes, or until onion is tender-crisp. Stir in broth and rosemary; bring to a boil. Stir in artichoke hearts, spinach, and spices; reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in pasta sauce.

4. Spread 1/4 of the artichoke mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish; top with 3 cooked noodles. Sprinkle 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese over noodles. Repeat layers 2 more times, ending with artichoke mixture and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle crumbled feta on top.

5. Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover, and bake 15 minutes more, or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Servings: 8
Calories: 458, Fat: 21g

Verdict: 4 stars. This was a decent recipe, but it could use some revamping above and beyond what I added. In the future, I will use non-herbed, full-fat feta. I think I'll add some mushrooms and black olives, as well as a lot more spices (I think fresh oregano would be outstanding in this). Anyway...there's room for improvement, but it's pretty good!

1 comments:

cynnerth said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I want some!!

Post a Comment