Blackberry, Lemon, and Walnut Scones

|
"Slaying entails certain sacrifices, blah blah biddy blah, I'm so stuffy, give me a scone." Oh, Buffy, you quippy, vampire-slaying sass-pot.



SO! The big news over at Foodie Blogroll two weeks ago was that I won a jar of Date Syrup from Organics Are For Everyone. The fine folks at Organics Are For Everyone sent a jar of this tasty natural sweetener my way in no time flat. Date Syrup is a crowd pleasin' organic, vegan product. It can be used as syrup for pancakes and waffles, in place of honey or sugar in recipes, on ice cream, in marinades, or just eaten straight from the jar (and yes, it is that good). Over the week, I found that I really enjoyed drizzling some over my morning bowl of granola and plain yogurt. This is an awesome product. Thank you to Organics Are For Everyone for sending this for me to try!



Today, I decided to use one of the recipes found on the Organics Are For Everyone website: Berry and Lemon Scones. You all don't know this yet, but I decided last weekend (while in Madison, at Lazy Jane's, eating the best scones on the planet) that I am on the quest for the perfect scone recipe. Preferably, I could just smuggle Lazy Jane's recipe from the cafe, but I don't think I have the cat-like prowess for such a task. So, I guess I'm stuck with the delectable job of making many scone recipes to find the best one. Darn.

Blackberry, Lemon, and Walnut Scones (from Organics Are For Everyone)
-1 3/4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
-2.5 teaspoons baking powder
-1 teaspoon salt (**NOTE: I will probably use slightly less in the future)
-1/3 cup date syrup
-4 tablespoons cold butter, chopped into small cubes
-1/2 cup milk
-Zest from 1 lemon
-1 teaspoon lemon juice
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
-1/3 cup fresh or frozen cherries, raspberries, or blackberries (**NOTE: I used at least 2/3 cup)
-Optional: 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
-Optional: I made a lemon glaze for these bad boys. Just pour some powdered sugar in a cereal bowl, and squeeze the rest of the lemon juice from your leftover lemon onto the sugar. Using a fork, blend completely. Drizzle over the cooked scones with a spoon and let cool.

1. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl: Flour, salt, sugar, and zest. Cut in butter using your fingers, a pastry blender, or two knives until a coarse meal forms.

2. In another bowl, mix together date syrup, vanilla, milk, and lemon juice. Combine with dry ingredients until dough just starts to hold together. Do not overwork! Add berries and nuts, if desired.



3. Press dough into a disc (it will be a bit sticky, don't worry). Cut dough into slices. Form into desired scone shapes and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes (if small scones...large scones will take more like 15-18).

-Servings: I made 4 large scones. You could probably get away with 6, since they spread out in a major way during the baking process.



Verdict: Way tasty scones! Greg thought this recipe was very close at Lazy Jane's scones. Plus, he complimented me up and down about how pretty they look. He's a good man. :) I will happily make this recipe again. It came together in no time at all, and I can feel good about the only source of sugar (glaze aside) coming from the date syrup!

4 comments:

d.n.williamson said...

A)Where is Lazy Janes.
B) Is it a coffee shop?
C) My niece is moving to the East Side to go to MATC for their pastry chef program and is looking for part time work at a fun coffee shop.
D) Greg already emailed her his "housing" packet.

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen said...

Those look yummy! Thanks so much for posting about your date syrup win! :)

I just quoted Buffy in my most recent post too! LOL!

:)

Heather said...

D.N.-- Lazy Jane's is on Willy Street. It's a cafe...so they do sell coffee, but I think that people go there to eat more often than just drink coffee. There are lots and lots of coffee shops (and almost all have a fun atmosphere), so she shouldn't have any problems there. :)

Jenn-- I checked out your Buffy quote--very funny! Who would've thought that Buffy and food blogs would collide so often?

Accola said...

Looking for the recipe for the white chocolate/coconut scones..is it an adaptation of the above?

Post a Comment