Goat Cheese Quesadillas with Green-Chile Salsa

|
You may not be aware, but I am in love with Cooking Light. Cooking Light fills me with a sense of well being and self-care. I cherish its many issues and turn to it in times of trouble. We've been planning our elopement for some time now. Someday we'll even have glossy, brilliant, ad-chocked children who are adventuresome, wholesome eaters.

Now that you know I am not one for hyperbole, let me just say: This is one of the best recipes that Cooking Light has ever given me. Honestly.



Goat Cheese Quesadillas with Green-Chile Salsa
(from Cooking Light)
-1 cup (4 ounces) goat cheese
-1 cup (4 ounces) grated reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
-1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
-1 tablespoon chili powder
-1 (15-ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
-8 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
-Cooking spray
-Green-Chile Salsa (recipe below)
-Cilantro sprigs (optional)
-**I recommend adding about 1/2 teaspoon cumin (or a couple good shakes), 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, and a dash of salt. Also, you can top it with a bit of plain, nonfat yogurt instead of sour cream. YUM.**

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Combine first 5 ingredients; spread about 3/4 cup cheese mixture onto each of 4 tortillas, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top each with a tortilla, pressing gently to secure. Place tortillas on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; cover with foil. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until cheeses melt. Serve with Green-Chile Salsa; garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.

Green Chile Salsa
-1 1/3 cups diced seeded tomato
-1/4 cup diced sweet onion
-2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
-1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
-1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
-1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. (Difficult, I know!) :)

-Servings: 4
-Calories: 477, Fat: 12.4g, Carbs: 70.7g, Protein: 23g


Serve with a margarita or, as pictured, a gin gimlet...mmm...

4 comments:

Lori said...

I love Cooking Light too. I have volumes of books on my shelf. This does look good! I am on a serious Mexican bender lately.

Heather said...

Me too! I don't know what that's all about. I'm making black bean burgers later this week and couldn't help but buy avocados and pepper jack to make it more Mexican-y. Must be the slow descent into summer. :)

Lo said...

Cooking Light is a great place to find great ideas! Just flipping through the magazine can sometimes pull me out of a slump.

Quesadillas with goat cheese sound good! Can't wait for August -- cuz I'll bet the salsa rocks with real, fresh tomatoes.

lemonsandanchovies said...

This looks delish. I'll have to try it when hubby's not around--he's not a goat cheese fan...but I am! Thanks for stopping by my page! :-)

Post a Comment