Pickled Carrots and Cauliflower

|
I don't mean to flog you all with how much I enjoy Lori's blog, but I had to make another of her recipes this weekend: Pickled Carrots (I added some cauliflower). Recently I've had a serious jones for all things pickled. The yearning was so acute the other night that while I was out at a martini bar, I drank a "Dirty Lemonade," which is basically a lemon drop with olive brine (and yes, I did get curious looks--even from the waiter). It cured me of my salty/briny needs that night, but the next day I was right back to wanting the spicy/crunchy dimension of pickled things. Plus, I had dill in my fridge that was going to go to waste.

The nice bit about this recipe is that it's a "quick pickle." That is to say, you don't need to wait for 3 months to eat the goodies inside. Hell, you don't even need to properly can them if you're going to eat them right away (and please do eat them right away if you don't can properly--don't get botulism!).

The recipe for the liquid only filled up half of my jar. So, I made another batch of the liquid and poured that in there, too. After setting it in the fridge for a couple hours, the vegetables seemed to shrink, and there was much more fluid than veggies! Weird, wild stuff. So, I crammed more veggies in. I have a feeling that I didn't need to double the liquid because of whatever scientific thing happened there, so just be aware of that.



Quick Pickled Carrots & Cauliflower
(from Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness, who modified it from Martha Stewart)
-1/2 cup white-wine vinegar
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 T kosher salt*
-4 or more medium carrots, julienned (until I filled a quart jar)
-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
-2 sprigs of dill
-3 cloves of garlic halved

1. In a sauce pan combine vinegar, sugar, and salt. Heat to a boil and salt and sugar is disolved. Pour over the carrots in the quart jar. Cool, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours but preferably for a couple days.

* the reason you use kosher salt is because it does not contain iodine. Iodine discolors vegetables or fruit in the canning process.

Verdict: This is so, so good. It's crunchy and spicy and sweet all at once (like spicy-sweet pickles). They have cured me of my yearning for pickled things, but have made me want to start pickling other things (like pickles!....and escabeche!). Then I started thinking about canning other things, like jam. So, be careful...this recipe is apparently a slippery slope.

1 comments:

Andrea said...

These sound so good! I started canning a few years ago and its now become an obsession of mine.

Post a Comment