Besos

|
As a prelude to my Nueve de Mayo/Mexico Challenge, I made Besos. Besos are like a four-way cross between whoopie pies, scones, jelly-filled doughnuts and christmas cookies. The dough is heavy and light at the same time, and even though the end product is coated in sugar, it's not as sweet as you'd imagine.

I nabbed this recipe from Teenie Cakes. She modified the recipe to make "Besitos," or "tiny kisses." After making this recipe, I understand why. These suckers are HUGE. I only used a small ice cream scoop (about 1 1/2 tablespoons), but they spread a lot, rise a lot, and therefore make a hefty sandwich cookie. So, when reading the recipe here, use your own judgment of how large you really want your Besos to be (you could use a scale that goes from "Peck" to "Spit Swappin' Smackeroo!").

As a note, I used sugar-free cherry jam for the filling, and then grated lemon zest into my sugar coating. That is a highly recommendable combo.



Besos (from Teenie Cakes, originally from a cookbook, "Dulce: Desserts in the Latin-American Tradition by, Joseluis Flores")
-3/4 cup butter, softened but firm
-3/4 cup sugar
-3 eggs
-4 cups all-purpose flour
-2 teaspoons active dry yeast
-1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
-2 tablespoons vanilla extract
-1 cup water
-1 1/2 cups marmalade or jam
-1 cup butter, melted (**NOTE: About 3 tablespoons was plenty for my Besos)
-2 cups sugar for coating (**NOTE: Again, I used less than 1 cup)

1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy and yellow. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until combined after each addition.

2. In another bowl, combine flour, yeast, and baking powder. Add the flour mixture, 1 cup of water, and the vanilla to the butter mixture. Mix on low speed until combined. Then, mix on medium speed until dough becomes smooth and soft with a thick, batter-like texture. (**NOTE: The batter will be really, REALLY thick. It essentially created a dough tornado on my poor hand mixer.)

3. Preheat oven to 350.

4. Using a 2-ounce ice cream scoop or 1/4 measuring cup, scoop half spheres of dough 2" apart on a non-stick baking sheet, or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. (**NOTE: Obviously, if you make these smaller, you will need to adjust the baking time down accordingly.) Let them cool completely on a rack.

5. Spread about 1 tablespoon (again, depending on size of the Besos) on the bottom-side of each bread. Place another bread flat-side against the filling to assemble the Beso. Using a pastry brush, coat the assembled Besos with melted butter. Roll into sugar and tap off the excess. Store in an airtight container.



-Yield: This will be dependent on the size of your Besos. I got about 20 large Besos, but the recipe says 15.
-Calories: Splurge on one or two (and I do mean "splurge"), and then give the rest away. These are sinful. :)

4 comments:

Chef Dennis said...

I never heard of Besos....they look wonderful!!
thanks for sharing, I think I may have to make these!

Andrea said...

They sure are pretty! I love the idea of lemon and cherry, yum!

Girl Foodie said...

I'm just glad my hubby wasn't reading this post over my shoulder. He would have licked the screen.
These look really tasty and a little less forgiving than a doughnut.
Thanks for sharing your recipe! Gorgeous bites!

vocalista001 said...

Your first photo reminds me of Audrey in the Little Shop of Horrors. EAT ME!!!

Post a Comment