Speedy Black Bean Burger

|
I don't think I'm alone in saying that when I get home from work, I don't really want to spend a lot of time cooking. I'd rather spend those precious few hours curled up on the couch with the fiance and the kittens, watching Season 5 of Angel. This recipe delivered. It comes together in no time flat. Paired with a box of "5 minute couscous" or bagged salad w/chopped veggies, this goes from ingredients to dinner in less than 20 minutes. The best part? It is so good for you.



Our Homemade Quick Black Bean Burger (from Cooking Light)
-1 (2-ounce) hamburger bun, torn into pieces
-3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
-2 teaspoons chopped garlic
-1 (15.25-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
-1 teaspoon grated lime rind
-3/4 teaspoon chili powder
-1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 large egg, lightly beaten
-1 large egg white, lightly beaten

1. Place bun in a food processor; process 4 times or until crumbs measure about 1 cup. Transfer to a bowl.

2. Combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, and beans in processor; pulse 8 times or until beans make a thick paste. Scrape bean mixture into bowl with breadcrumbs. Stir in rind and remaining ingredients. With moistened hands, divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions (about 1/3 cup mixture per portion), shaping each into a 3-inch patty.

3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes or until bottom edges are browned. Carefully turn patties over; cook 3 minutes or until bottom edges are done.

Servings: 4 patties
Calories: 182 per patty. Carbs: 15.6g, Protein: 6.6g, Fat: 12.3g

Serving Suggestions: I melted a slice of Pepper Jack cheese on each patty, and added two avocado wedges, slices of red onion, and ketchup. And, of course, a whole wheat bun.
--Calories WITH the above serving suggestions (or, "Calories for the Entire Burger"): Approximately 485 calories. Not too shabby for a protein-packed veggie burger!

Verdict: This was a great burger. It made watching the sad episode of Angel where Ilyria keeps calling Fred "The Shell" more bearable. Greg said the following, "This is the best black bean burger I've ever had. You know what the best part is? We get to eat them tomorrow, too." SO, there you have it. OM NOM NOM!

8 comments:

sweetlife said...

Your burger looks fab.. i love trying different burgers and these are a must try..yum

sweetlife

d.n.williamson said...

Whole wheat bun, eih? In the photo, it looked a bit like a Sheboygan Hard Roll. Has Greg ever taken you to Charcoal Inn? My mom used to waitress there.

Heather said...

Those rolls should take that as a compliment. :) I WISH they were Sheboygan hard rolls! Yes, I've been to the Charcoal Inn several times--it is deliciousness. :)

halfmoon-mollie said...

mmmm. This looks great, I've been looking for a black bean burger recipe that doesn't involved a hundred steps. Thank you.

Andrea said...

never tried a black bean burger but I bet its delicious, it sure looks like it!

McMom said...

This is the second time in a few weeks I've seen a post on black bean burgers. I think it's a sign I need to try them. I like the lime rind and chili powder in this recipe.

Monet said...

What a delightful recipe! My husband and I are vegetarians, so we are always looking for new recipes. This will be making its way into our weekly menu soon. Thank you for sharing!

Michele said...

A recipe from one of my favorite magazines! I'm going to have to try this one.

Post a Comment