Uruguay: Chivito

|
Uruguay is a great place. It's beautiful, full of rivers, has absolute freedom of religion, and recently began to allow legal marriages between same-sex partners. On top of that, its national dish is one hell of a sandwich. Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a sandwich for the faint of heart (and especially not the weak of heart). This is a carnivore's sandwich.

Let me introduce you to the Chivito. Filet mignon, black forest ham, bacon, a fried egg, mayo, and cheese for starters: Pickles, tomato, onion, olives, and more for optional add-ons. Now you can see why when my friend Gus charged me with the task of making him "one of the fattiest things I could find" for his visit today, I chose the Chivito. Yes, I could've gone with Poutine, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any duck fat lying around (and I also am scared to death of deep frying). Fortunately, Gus was delighted by the Chivito and said, "I just want it to keep going on and on for like, three feet." And Gus is a man who knows his meat sandwiches.

Beware: This is a not just a fatty sandwich. It is a HUGE sandwich. I couldn't even eat half in one sitting.



Chivito
(slightly modified from Road Food)
-2 slices of bacon
-1/4-inch slice of filet mignon
-Salt and pepper
-1 egg
-1 hard roll (Portuguese Roll, New Orleans Muffuletta, or any sturdy Italian torpedo)
-Mayonnaise
-1 slice of Black Forest ham
-1 slice of Provolone cheese
-Lettuce
-2 tomato slices
-Optional: Slices of pickle, sliced olives, roasted red peppers (I used the first two, but forgot lettuce).

1. Fry the bacon in a hot skillet. When cooked, remove to drain but leave the bacon fat in the skillet.

2. Pound the filet mignon until it is about the size of the hard roll.Salt and pepper it on both sides, then fry it in the bacon grease. When cooked until pink in the center, remove the steak.


3. Fry the egg, removing the egg when the yolk is cooked but still runny.

4. Slice and toast the hard roll. Spread mayonnaise on both sides. On the bottom, first place the filet mignon, followed by the ham, the Provolone, the fried egg, the bacon, the lettuce, tomato, and onion.

5. Serve with French fries and many napkins.



Verdict: Sinful and delicious. Even though I couldn't pack it all away in one sitting (which is probably better for my heart, anyway), I wanted to. There are so many textures and flavors that it becomes addictive to eat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment