How to Poach an Egg

|
I'm throwing a fancy French dinner-soiree next weekend. My choice of cuisine requires me to poach an egg (not once, but 6 or 7 times). I've never poached an egg before, but after watching "Julie & Julia," I got the impression that it was quite the tricky endeavor. So, in the spirit of saving myself from humiliation, I set out to practice making poached eggs. And guess what? It is so easy. I shouldn't have been worried. (I say that now, but are you willing to bet that next weekend the eggs will go awry? I will take that bet.)


My brother gave me his old awesome camera! It may be my smitten-ness with the camera, but I don't think I've taken a lovelier photo of food so far.


Poached Eggs
(technique from "Everyday Food")

1. Break eggs into separate bowls. Do not break the yolks.



2. Fill a straight edged 12" deep skillet or pan with 2" of water. Set heat to medium. When bubbles form on the bottom of the pan and a couple tiny bubbles break on the surface of the water, gently pour one egg at a time into the water. Do not overcrowd the eggs--I wouldn't put more than 4 in at a time. Leave space between the eggs.



3. Let cook undisturbed for 3-4 minutes until whites are just set and yolks are still runny.



4. If necessary (and it will probably be necessary), use a rubber spatula to gently loosen the egg from the bottom of the pan. Start at the outer edge and slowly move toward the center of the egg, pushing lightly.



5. With a slotted spoon, pick up one egg at a time. Use a paper towel to blot the bottom of the spoon before serving the egg.



Poached eggs is one of the healthiest ways to eat an egg, considering the lack of butter used to cook it. They are divine with toast for breakfast, but at my dinner party, they will be part of Salade Lyonnaise. Yum.

1 comments:

The Cilantropist said...

This is pretty much how I do my eggs, except I always add a little vinegar to the gently simmering water.

Hope your party is a big success! :)

Post a Comment