New Ingredients

|
When my friend Scholke gave me the idea for the 50 Countries Challenge, he first proposed trying out 50 ingredients I've never used before in cooking. I was fairly sure that I'd gotten around enough in cooking that I would have to start buying REALLY exotic things. What worried me more was that I would have to do things I won't do on principle, like make lobster or octopus.

However, recently I've realized how much doing this 50 Countries Challenge, as well as being part of The Daring Cooks, has forced me to step outside of the box. I've been keeping track of ingredients new to my World of Cooking, partly for me, but mostly for Scholke. I've found 24 "new ingredients" as of January 2nd--almost as many as there are countries I've visited on my challenge. Awesome.

For interested parties, those ingredients are:
Mo Qua (Fuzzy Squash)
Curry Leaves
Lemongrass
Ghee
Apricot Nectar
Hearts of Palm
Confectioners Sugar
Tomatillos
Adobo Seasoning
Anaheim Chiles
Masa Harina
Chayote Squash
Galanga
Sambal Oelek
Dried Currants
Porcini Mushrooms
Arborio Rice
Dangmyeon Noodles (Sweet Potato Noodles)
Bulgur Wheat
Celeriac
Parsley Root
Fenugreek
Date Syrup
Fish Sauce

5 comments:

Lo said...

You've hit on one of the main reasons I love cooking (and blogging) so much. Stretching our palates... trying new things... and really opening ourselves up to new experiences has been an absolute joy. And sharing it with such a great community of readers & bloggers has made it even better! Love your list!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE chayote... and hearts of palm! I had those in Costa Rica... the other awesome thing I had there that was different and tasty is yuca (if you're looking to add something to your list).

Emily

The Cilantropist said...

Wow! What a list, I am going to save that list and pick randomly for when I feel like trying something exotic. :)

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said...

Wow that's so cool you listed all those ingredients! What's date syrup!?

Heather said...

Thanks everyone!

Tanantha--Date Syrup is AWESOME. It's a natural sweetener made from dates, that can (more or less) be used interchangeably in the place of sugar in recipes, on pancakes, etc. You can order it here: http://www.organicsareforeveryone.com/

Post a Comment