Black Bean and Tortilla Bake

|
I'm at a loss for anything particularly clever to say about this meal. Simply put, it is fabulous. It's flexible where ingredients are concerned, so you can modify it to your particular tastes. It's extremely healthy, so you can enjoy the gooey cheesiness without hating yourself later. As an added bonus, it's vegetarian. Well, that's a bonus to me, anyway.

I think I'm going to call this recipe "Old Faithful." It's a well-timed geyser of deliciousness.



Black Bean and Tortilla Bake (I cannot remember where I got this recipe from so many years ago. I thought it was the American Heart Association, but apparently not. However, I did find the recipe here.)

-1 clove garlic, minced
-1/2 cup chopped onion
-1 cup chopped tomatoes
-1/2 cup chopped green onions
-2 teaspoons cumin
-1/2 teaspoon chili powder (**I like a whole teaspoon**)
-1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
-1 (16 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
-1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (**or more, according to your preference)
-Salt (**I use 1/4 teaspoon**)
-Pepper (**I use 1/4 teaspoon**)
-12 soft corn tortillas
-8 oz. lowfat cheddar cheese, shredded; reserve 2 tbsp. (**Try out a variety of cheeses. Yesterday I used a "Cheddar-Pepper Jack"-shredded mix. It was awesome.**)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray large skillet with cooking spray. Add garlic, onions, tomato, green onions, cumin and chili powder. Cook on medium heat until onion is tender. Add tomato sauce and cook 5 more minutes. Stir in black beans, cilantro, salt and pepper.

2. Spray a 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Layer 4 tortillas, 1/3 cheese, 1/3 bean mixture; repeat two more times. Top with reserved 2 tbsp. cheese.

3. Bake 20 minutes covered, then 10 minutes uncovered or until bubbly.

-6 servings if it's being served with a nice big side salad, or you're not very hungry. If you're serving it on its own, it's 4 servings.
-Calories: 272 for 6 servings, 408 for 4 servings.

4 comments:

mangocheeks said...

I would never had thought of putting beans in a tortilla bake. I must agree with you that this is fabulous. Just wish I could have a taste.

Lauren said...

This sounds (and looks) super good! I'm going to have to try this one.

Anonymous said...

I remember this from way back when. I want to say it was from the black handwritten book you used to have (wherever those recipes came from), but I could be wrong.
Emily

Heather said...

And you would be correct, Emily! :)

Post a Comment