Adobo-Flavored Almonds

|


I would go there and try to pretend like this is my entry for Filipino cuisine...but I feel too sleazy about it. This isn't even an actual Filipino recipe--it's just inspired by the flavors. So, I won't. Instead, I will tell you that this is AWESOME snack food. It's savory with a tangy, salty bite. I love it, and I'm sure you will, too.

Adobo-Flavored Almonds
(from "The Filipino-American Cookbook" by, Jennifer Aranas)
-2 cups pecans, almonds, peanuts, cashews, or walnuts
-3 tablespoons brown sugar
-4 teaspoons soy sauce
-2 teaspoons vinegar
-1 teaspoon lime juice (or calamansi juice, if you can be authentic)
-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon pepper

1. Preheat oven to 325.

2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until the nuts are well coated. Pour the nuts onto a parchment-lined or lightly oiled baking sheet, separating the nuts as much as possible into a single layer.

3. Bake for 15 minutes or until nuts are golden brown. Cool 10-15 minutes before handling. They will be crispy with a brown, shiny glaze. Store in your cupboard in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.


Enjoy with a cold beer. I imagine (but haven't tested yet) that this Bell's Two-Hearted Ale would go nicely.

2 comments:

Jun Belen said...

One of my favorite snacks is adobo peanuts. And this just takes that to the next level with almonds!! I'd have to try them out soon. Glad you're experimenting with Filipino flavors! Lovely post!

ltdeleon78 said...

This is nice! I am a Filipino and seeing how you experimented with the adobo flavor in almonds made me smile =) Try putting in more garlic next time as adobo becomes more flavorful with lots of garlic in it. Bon Appetit!

Post a Comment