Vote for the Last 11 Countries in My 50 Countries Challenge!

|
It occurred to me yesterday that I only have 11 countries left for my 50 Countries, 1 Year challenge. 11! That's impossibly awesome. I even have a cushy buffer zone of two weeks before the end of the year, just in case I get lazy. Then...it's on to a brand new commitment: Baking!

Anywho, even though I'm very motivated by the prospect of only 11 more countries, I'm deflating rapidly. Finding authentic-ish cuisine for each country is a real pain in the ass some weeks, not to mention deciding what is doable when. I need a firm plan to stick to, and at this point, I prefer for the decision making to be out of my hands. So, to put a fire under my tuchus, I am going to let YOU decide the last 11 countries/dishes. There. Now don't you feel special?

You may choose from the following (OR you can give me a brand new suggestion for a dish, if you are so inclined):
-Greece: Spanakopita and Baklava
-Australia: Lamingtons
-South Africa: Melktert
-Brazil: Moqueca de Camarao
-Wales: Welsh Rarebit
-Netherlands: Hutspot or Stamppot
-Austria: Plum Dumplings or Sachertorte
-Switzerland: Zurich-style Cut Meat and Roesti
-Iceland: Icelandic Lamb Stew
-Portugal: Pastel de Nata (custard cups)
-Ecuador: Llapingachos
-Iran: Baghali Polo
-Malaysia: Sago Pudding with Palm Sugar
-Bolivia: Huminta
-Spain: Tapas and Sangria
-Pakistan: Aaloo Palak and Chapatis
-Tibet: The Dalai Lama's Momos
-Scotland: Shortbread
-Laos: Kai Lao
-Ukraine: Honey Horns with Almond Filling
-Puerto Rico: Asopao
-Russia: Chicken with Spicy Walnut Sauce (Satsivi)
-Mali: Maharagwe (Spiced Black Eyed Peas in Coconut Milk)
-Martinique: Colombo de Pork
-Colombia: Sopa de Chocolo y Coco or Ajiaco
-Argentina: Chimichurri Sauce put on...some sort of meat. :)

Okay....off you go! Vote! Tell me what you want to see me do! And/or give me your thoughts (and then I may put them up on the list)! Top 11 countries/dishes win my heart and my time.

18 comments:

T.J. said...

My vote is for South Africa and Iceland.

However, Dalai Lama's momos sounds like an adult film...or a kick ass band.

Sara said...

I really reallty want you to try the Portuguese dish (Pastel de Nata) because it's one of my favorite things in the entire planet. It's so delicious. :)

Anonymous said...

Spain for Tapas and then a stroll over to Portugal for Pastel de Nata. And, if I'm invited to dinner, you can even use my beautiful tapas plates! Kathy

Jen Cruz said...

My vote is for Greece, because I love Greek food, and for Puerto Rico because I love a Puerto Rican! :) Plus, PR food is awesome! I can teach you to make Arroz con gandules with plantanos. So yummy!

Chris Cruz said...

What Jen said sounds perfect! I second that ;)

Bill Jackson said...

Iceland gets my vote too. I'm such a carnivore and I love lamb. That's also why I like the Russian Chicken, though I thought I'd never care for any Russian cuisine except vodka and Rachmaninoff, and the pork from Martinique. Occassionally, I need to eat something that fought for its life. Wow. Am I hungry...

Lauren said...

This is what I think you should do, but then I don't remember what you've already done:
Indonesia (something awesome), Phillipines - Lumpia, nom nom nom, Czech Republic - goulash. I also notice that BELGIUM is missing from your mix and I find that abhorrent and I think you need to make moules frites to make up for it. Or waterzooi. Then I vote for Amsterdam (although in the Netherlands the only good food is the Indonesian food), Wales, Pakistan, Scotland and Tibet. This would be a lot easier if you made a poll and we could all vote. I'm just going to complain as much as I can here.

Heather said...

Hahahaha. Oh, Lauren. You codger, you.

I would make moules frites, except the idea of "fresh" mussels in the middle of Illinois is terrifying.

Anonymous said...

Ecuador. I'm partial to any Central American countries right now because of trying to learn about the culture of the kids I'm working with :-) The one for Mali also looks good. Selfishly, I want you to do Greece because I want to make Spanikopita and Baklava myself and want you to try it first :-D

Emily

Anonymous said...

I vote for Iran! Build some bridges to our Islamic brothers - plus, I can promise amazing recipes from Cy's Mom :-)

-Leslie

cynnerth said...

I was thinking of Iceland before I saw the list of choices. Lamb stew? Yum!! Brazil and South Africa too.

Anonymous said...

Like voting for where Justin Bieber's next tour should go, I'm voting for North Korea!

~Lisa~ said...

Wow I love that you're doing this. I'm no help bc I want you to do it all (=

Trish said...

I give you so much credit for doing this. Quite an enterprise. All your ideas for the next countries sound wonderfully delicious!

Mike Thompson said...

Laos and the Kai Lao

Beth said...

Tapas, please!

Amelia PS said...

what about Morocco???
I recently read up (and cooked up - see my bisteeya) about Morocco and it's an amazingly sophisticated, ancient, and delicious cuisine.

Heather said...

I haven't done Morocco yet, though I have done several countries with very similar cuisine. *Love* that style of cuisine. :)

Post a Comment