Daring Cooks Challenge: Burrades y Sauza

|
Well, the challenge wasn't really "Burrades y Sauza." That's made up. The challenge was to make stuffed grape leaves, which are commonly called Dolmades (or Dolmas). They're a popular choice for appetizers and entrees in Middle Eastern cuisine, and variations are found all over the world (including Vietnam! Let's hearken back to those delicious Vietnamese grape leaves I made a couple months ago, shall we? Ahhh yeah...that was the stuff).

To sum it up, I have made Dolmades more than a few times, and have made a variation on it to boot. So, I decided to make up my own stuffed grape leaves. Since I can always go for Mexican food, I thought that I would take this opportunity to make little grape leaf-wrapped burritos ("Burrades") with a green chiles-sour cream sauce (or "Sauza").

Make sure you roll your r's while saying "Burrades." That way it'll sound legitimate.

Burrades
-1 jar grape leaves
-1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups rice, cooked
-1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed
-1/2 - 3/4 cup sweet onion, chopped finely
-1 fresh tomato, diced very small
-About 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
-1 pickled jalapeno, diced
-Few squirts lime juice
-3/4 teaspoon salt
-3/4 teaspoon cumin
-3/4 teaspoon coriander
-3/4 teaspoon dried cilantro
-3/4 teaspoon chili powder
-1/4 teaspoon cayenne
-1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
-1 (14.5oz) can chicken or vegetable broth

Sour Cream-Green Chile Sauce
-1 tub (8 oz) sour cream
-1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles
-1 pickled jalapeno, diced
-About 1/3 sweet onion, chopped finely
-1 large (or 2 normal) clove of garlic, minced
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon cumin

1. In a large mixing bowl, mix rice, black beans, onion, tomato, garlic, jalapeno, cheese, lime juice, and all spices.

2. Gently unfold grape leaves (they are delicate and will rip easily, so being gentle is key!). Place them vein side up. Depending on the size of your grape leaf, put about 1 tablespoon of the rice mixture on the leaf. Shape the rice into a 2" cylinder. Fold the bottom of the leaf up over the rice, then the sides over the center. Then, roll it up like a cigarette. Place each finished Burrade seam-side down in a 13x9" pan.

3. Pour a can of broth over them, saturating them well. Place in a 350-degree oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. (**NOTE: In the future, I might suggest covering them with tinfoil to prevent drying out.**)

4. While the Burrades are baking, prepare the sauce. Place all ingredients in a bowl, and mix well. If you leave this as-is, it makes for a mild-tasting, lovely chip dip! But, for a runnier, sharper-tasting sauce, use an immersion blender (or put into a regular blender) and process until smooth.

5. Serve the sauce next to or on top of the Burrades.

Verdict: I was so damn pleased with myself. This was the first thing that I've created all on my own that I felt totally proud of. It was utterly delicious--so spicy, salty/briny, and comforting all at once! I highly recommend you try these out for yourself! Oh, AND--the sauza is a totally fabulous chip dip. We ate the leftovers that way for a few days. :)

Blog-checking lines: Our October 2010 hostess, Lori of Lori’s Lipsmacking Goodness, has challenged The Daring Cooks to stuff grape leaves. Lori chose a recipe from Aromas of Aleppo and a recipe from The New Book of Middle Eastern Food.

6 comments:

Jen Cruz said...

Sounds good. I recently tried a greek dish that was meat inside of grape leaves. It was interesting. This sounds better. :)

Monet said...

Congratulations! It looks like you created a real winner! I'm all about fusion food, and this looks like something I would just love. Thanks for sharing!

gringarl said...

I like stuffed grape leaves. Sometimes I use pickled cabbage leaves instead of grape leaves. Both way, the results are great
thanks for sharing this recipe.

Marisa said...

I love this! Great idea to give these a Mexican twist - flavours sound amazing and I love the sour cream sauce that you made to accompany them.

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

You won my brownie giveaway! Yay! Please email me your address so I can send it to the kind folks at Pillsbury :)

FamilySpice said...

What a great idea! I love burritos, but I've cut down on my bread intake. These Burrades look fantastic!

Post a Comment