The "World's Most Beloved Myth" Cookies

|
Story time, kids!

Sometime during high school (back when AOL charged a nickel a minute, if that gives you any indication), there was a chain email that got quite a bit of circulation. It was about Neiman Marcus' famous chocolate chip cookies. The story went that a woman was out to lunch, had the cookie, and loved it so much that she asked the waitress for the recipe. The waitress refused. The woman then offered to pay for the recipe, and the waitress accepted, saying the recipe was "two fifty." Thinking the waitress meant $2.50, the woman accepted. Only later did she find out that the recipe was really $250, and--get this--Neiman Marcus (THE THIEVES!!) told her there was no way she was getting her money back. She exacted her revenge by circulating the recipe for free all over the interwebs (which is what we called it back in the mid-late 90's).

What a great story. If only it were true.

I did make this recipe for the first time in high school. The pull of chocolate chips and instant coffee were too much for me and my friend Kali. I am surprised that I still remember us making these cookies in particular (we were in Kali's kitchen, making them far larger than they're supposed to be), but I guess that's the mark of a great recipe. If you still remember the first time the cookie passed your lips (at least 12 years ago), it's a keeper.

Neiman Marcus' Famous Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (from Neiman Marcus)
-1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
-1 cup light brown sugar
-3 tablespoons granulated sugar
-1 large egg
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder (**Or just regular instant coffee powder.**)
-1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream the butter with the sugars using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (approximately 30 seconds)

2. Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract for another 30 seconds.

3. In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture at low speed for about 15 seconds. Stir in the espresso coffee powder and chocolate chips.

4. (**Note: I'm changing to my original recipe's instructions here.**) Drop balls by the large spoonful onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes for a softer cookie, or 10-12 minutes for a crispier cookie.

-Makes about 15-18 hefty cookies.

8 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I totally remember that story! I want these cookies and a giant glass of milk! YUM!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I remember hearing about this too! Myth or not, sounds great and looks great.

d.n.williamson said...

I love these, but the recipe I have does not have coffee in and has shaved chocolate.

Heather said...

D.N. - I've seen that one, too. I think that must be how you can tell it's a myth--totally different recipes, same story. ;)

Food o' del Mundo said...

Story or no, these cookies would sure hit the spot today.
Thanks for stopping by my neighborhood. And I still call it the 'interwebs' thanks to George W.
~Mary

Carol Egbert said...

I remember that e-mail. Times have changed but cookies remain the same. Thanks for great post!

Sippity Sup said...

I have heard that story before, only I STILL believe it's true. I just got back from my first ever trip to WI, so I feel as if I know you. Thanks for visiting Sippity Sup. GREG

Heather I. said...

Totally remember that as well. It took me a long time to believe it wasn't true, haha! Those still look amazing and delicious!

Post a Comment