Orecchiette with Bacon and Tomato Sauce

|

Are you the type of person that likes bacon?

Do you find yourself hungry after work, but don't want to spend a lot of time cooking?

Do you like.....delicious things?

Then I have just the speedy, tastetastic meal for you!

Orecchiette with Bacon and Tomato Sauce (From Everyday Food)
-1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
-4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
-1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
-1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
-Coarse salt and ground pepper
-1 pound orecchiette or other short pasta
-Grated Parmesan and chopped fresh parsley, for serving (**NOTE: I didn't have parmesan--the horror!--so I used shredded cheddar. IT WAS AWESOME. Y'know why? Because bacon and cheddar belong together. Om nom nom!** By the way--dried parsley is fine--no need to buy fresh parsley just for this dish.)

1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add bacon and cook until browned and almost crisp, about 4 minutes. Add onion and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes and stir until fragrant, 1 minute. Add tomatoes, breaking them up as you go, and season with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly reduced, 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted water, cook pasta 1 minute less than package instructions. Reserve cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot.

3. Add sauce and pasta water to pasta and toss to combine; cook over medium-high until sauce thickens and coats pasta, about 2 minutes. Serve remaining pasta topped with Parmesan and parsley.

-Serves 4-6, depending on levels of extreme hungriness
-Calories: 335, Fat: 5.2g, Protein: 12g, Carbs: 60.1g


Verdict: This was SERIOUSLY awesome. The whole thing tastes like bacon--smokey, toasty, creamy tomato sauce. Plus, it was done in no time flat and requires almost no ingredients. I love everything about this pasta. And, let's talk about how few calories it has!

8 comments:

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

this looks amaizing.. i am so hungry right now. thanks for sharing.

katie @ recreationaleating.com said...

love orecchiette! great post.

Kali said...

I've made that same recipe before and have the same verdict. I love Everyday Food!

Roxan said...

Heather, this is the perfect meal for a weekday! My husband loooooooves bacon so I know he would love this pasta. I just love anything with pasta in general - what can I say, I love carbs!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Bacon, tomato and pasta?? Oh yeah I want this!! I agree, cheddar would be awesome on this, bacon & cheddar are BFF :)

briarrose said...

Bacon = the win. ;) Looks delicious.

Reeni said...

I love this easy, peasy recipe! So easy but so delicious! Bacon is awesome.

Simply Life said...

Those are my favorite type of noodles - great use of them!

Post a Comment