Turkey Bolognese

|
In case you haven't figured it out by now, I am a big fan of pasta. And why shouldn't I be? It's the perfect palette upon which to create a wide variety of tasty meals. I eat pasta probably too many times per week to be totally healthy, but I don't care. I love it and it loves me back. So there.

This dish is from my beloved, tattered Cooking Light recipe binder. It dates back to my college years, when my roommates and I all ate extraordinarily healthy all the time. We loved the subtle flavors, the slightly sweet sauce, and how the meal is light, yet filling. Plus, as college students, its cheapness to make was nothing to be sneezed at.

Turkey Bolognese (from Cooking Light)
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 cup chopped onion
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-12 ounces ground turkey breast
-1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (*or 1/2-3/4 tablespoons dried)
-1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (*or 1/2-3/4 tablespoons dried)
-1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (*or 1/2-3/4 tablespoons dried)
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon sugar
-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
-1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
-1 (8-ounce) can no salt-added tomato sauce
-4 cups hot cooked penne (about 3/4 pound uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
-1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Asiago cheese (*or parmesan)
**Optional: Add some veggies! Last night, I added a small bunch of leftover fresh spinach. I'd never done this before, but wow, what a good idea! Mushrooms or zucchini would be great additions to this dinner.**

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high.

2. Add turkey, and cook 4 minutes or until turkey is browned, stirring to crumble. Add oregano and next 7 ingredients (oregano through tomato sauce); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.

3. Stir in pasta; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with cheese.

Serves: 4 very generously
Calories: 447, Fat: 12.5g, Carbs: 53.9g, Protein: 29.7g

12 comments:

Emily Malloy said...

Yes.
Please.

Belinda @zomppa said...

Yes, yes, yes, please, me too!! Even better that it's so healthy!

Barbara said...

As italian could say " sembra buona"
Barbara

Kimberly Peterson said...

So soo sooo hungry right now.... and yes please!!

Susi said...

Love this healthier version of bolognese sauce. It sounds like it comes together pretty quickly too which is always a plus during dinner time rush :o)

Rich said...

It's good that you noted it serves four 'very generously'. I feel as if I wouldn't be able to help myself from taking a very generous portion! I love the sauce - it really does look great.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Hey~if you're gonna eat pasta too many times a week, at least you're throwing in some light dishes! This looks lovely!

Reeni said...

I eat lots of pasta too! I always try to include some veggies in it - that's why I love that you added spinach. This is a hearty, comforting bowl full of yum!

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

i love this recipe..this sounds absolutely comforting. thank you for sharing this.

Mother Rimmy said...

I just love the colors in your pasta dish. I have ground turkey in the freezer just waiting for this recipe. :)

nancy@skinnykitchen.com said...

Yummy...this pasta dish sounds so good and very healthy too!

Claire Gallam said...

This looks great! I always use turkey in place of ground beef. Not only is it healthier, but I think it tastes better too!

Post a Comment