Snickerdoodles

|
If there is but one cookie that reminds me of my childhood, it is the Snickerdoodle. They score points for hilarious nomenclature, sure. But as a child, they're one of the funnest projects to help your parent out with. You get to roll the dough into balls, roll the balls in sparkly cinnamon-sugar mix, and then press little crosshatches on the tops with a fork. And OK, yes--I may have been an easily amused kid, but you get the point. Anyway, they are totally delicious for all ages--the perfect combination of light, crunchy, and chewy.

I have an inexplicable link to these cookies and the holidays in my head. I am fairly certain my family made these all year round, but I could be wrong. Either way, something about the cinnamon-sugary-ness of these just screams Christmas to me. And so, I am making these, eating a few, and stashing the rest away in the freezer to bring to my family in a week and a half. Yum.

Snickerdoodles (from Allrecipes.com)
-1/2 cup butter, softened
-1/2 cup shortening, room temperature
-1 1/2 cups white sugar
-2 eggs, room temperature
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
-2 teaspoons cream of tartar
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-2 tablespoons white sugar
-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla (do this by hand!). Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.

3. Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

4. Bake 8 minutes (pretty much exactly 8 minutes--they will look like they're still soft, which they are a little bit, but they will harden in just a few minutes after being out of the oven! Promise! If you leave them in longer, they will be too hard). Remove immediately from baking sheets and place on cooling racks.

-Makes approximately 48 cookies.

This is a great Snickerdoodle recipe. It is not the one my family used, but it is perfection.

4 comments:

Jen Cruz said...

I love love love Snickerdoodles!!! I saw a recipe for Chai kissed Chocodoodles that I want to try.

Christine Wu said...

Love snickerdoodles! Haven't made them in a year, but definitely gonna make them soon! Last time I baked the first batch too long and yes, like you said they were too crispy. But the second batch came out crunchy yet chewy, just like how it should be.

Camala - CC Recipe said...

Mmmmm, Snickerdoodles one of my fav cookies! These sound great:)

Roxan said...

Snickerdoodles totally scream christmas - I think it's all the cinnamon sugar! I also love snickerdoodles, they're so pillow-y and delicious.

Post a Comment