"...Like Cheez-Its, But Better."
Someday, when I become a world famous Blogger lady and start hocking my wares across the world, that will be my tagline for these crackers. In fact, these crackers might be my (and your) ticket to stardom. They are truly, truly delicious. So cheesy and flaky and perfect in so many ways.
Did I mention that they are, like, ridiculously uncomplicated to make? In sum, you do the following:
1) Blitz your ingredients in a food processor.
2) Roll out the ingredients and use a cookie cutter to cut shapes.
3) You have the option of freezing the dough for 15 minutes before baking, but I don't see why it's necessary (unless it's hot in your kitchen, maybe?).
4) Bake the crackers.
That's it. If you can make cookies, you have this recipe down already.
Anyway, it's been decided that we're making crackers as many weekends as possible. We're a snacky couple and these are just better than store-bought crackers in every way. Make them. Make them now.
P.S. Enjoy them with or in a bowl of spicy chili, like we did tonight. My GOD is that good.
Triple-Cheddar Crackers (from The Cooking Photographer)
-1 1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
-1 teaspoon salt
-½ teaspoon paprika
-½ teaspoon onion powder
-6 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
-8 ounce package shredded triple cheddar cheese, or cheddar of choice
-2 egg yolks
-2 tablespoons water
1. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a food processor pulse together the flour, salt, paprika and onion powder. Add the butter and process until combined. Add the cheddar and pulse until finely chopped. Process in the egg yolk and water until the mixture forms a ball.
3. Remove the dough and knead in your hands for a few turns. Roll dough to 3/8 inch thick. Stamp dough with cookie stamps or cut with cookie cutters. Place the crackers on cookie sheets.
4. Optionally, you may freeze the crackers on the cookie sheets for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Move the cookie sheets to the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Cool crackers on cooling racks. Store in an airtight container.
-Yields approximately 80 crackers, though it will depend on how large your cookie cutter is.