Greek Burger with Garlic-Oregano Fries

|
I have SO slacked on putting up this post. I made this on Sunday! But this week has been flooded with all sorts of work stuff that has left me completely drained at the end of each day. And then all I want to do is put on my jammies and crawl into bed (something I was ready to do at 7:30 last night...because I'm not 90 years old or anything...).

This is an excellent healthy revamp of a classic bad-for-you meal. Who doesn't like a nice, juicy burger with a side of salty, crispy fries? Here, I've swapped beef for ground turkey, and deep-fried fries for baked. The result? No loss of flavor, and a big, full belly! This is a winner of a dinner all around.

Greek Burgers (from me)
-1 package (about 1.25 pounds) lean ground turkey
-8 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
-4 tablespoons crumbled feta (or more, or less, depending on the intensity of your feta-fetish)
-2 large cloves garlic, minced
-1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
-1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (or more, if you want a more lemony flavor)
-3/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1. Preheat broiler on high.

2. Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl, and incorporate thoroughly. Shape into 4 equally sized patties and place on a broiler pan coated lightly with cooking spray (optional).

3. Broil for 15 minutes or until cooked through. You may try flipping them over after 10 minutes and cooking for an additional 10 minutes to try to get patties browned on both sides. Serve immediately after they cool for a couple minutes.

-Serves 4

Garlic-Oregano Fries (also from me)
-3 baking potatoes (about 2 pounds), sliced into thin fry slices
-3 tablespoons olive oil
-2 cloves garlic, minced (or more! I always encourage upping garlic for an increased deliciousness quotient.)
-2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped finely
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/4-1/2 teaspoon pepper (I used 1/2 teaspoon, because I like things a little spicy)

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Put all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly so that the fries are coated.

3. Spray a baking sheet (with edges!) with cooking spray. Pour the fries out onto the pan and spread into one layer. Bake for 25 minutes or until crispy, turning over once for even browning. Serve immediately.

-Serves 4 or more

**NOTE: If you're making both things at once without a double oven, you might wonder how I worked this out logistically. I put the fries in first for about 15 minutes or so, while I was busy making the burgers. When I was ready to put the burgers in, I flipped the switch to "broil" and put the burgers on the middle rack, and the fries on the lower rack. When the burgers were done, I took them out and let them sit, but switched the fries to the middle rack again for a few minutes of direct broiler-crispiness. It worked great.

8 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

Everything here looks way too good!! Those fries!

mywanderingspoon said...

Love your burger....it looks like we were on the same menu, I made my burger yesterday but with a little twist.Check out when you have time:)
Love your fries:)
https://mywanderingspoon.wordpress.com/2011/02/24/mini-burger-veggies-on-a-stick/

Jamie said...

Dude this sounds SO delicious. I wanna try those fries!! Maybe with some feta sprinkled on them like at Oakland Gyros :)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Nice trick on the oven multi tasking!! The burger sounds delicious, I love Greek flavors :) The fries look fab, nice & crispy and oh so yummy. I so wish I had a burger & fries now - And yes its 8 am LOL

Ang said...

I love it all Heather! I'm making this whole meal. I don't really eat beef so when I first started reading your post I was after those fies. Until that is, I saw you substitute for Turkey. I'm so excited, can you tell? ;) Hope you have a great Saturday!

Swathi said...

Greek burger looks delicious. love the meal.

briarrose said...

Great burger...I love the feta and spinach and my husband would too. :)

Lori said...

What a yummy meal! I love anything that is Greek in nature. Great food!

Post a Comment