Honey Cashew Granola

|
Ever since I made Molasses-Almond Granola, I've been trying out new variations every week. You would think I'd get sick of granola, but you would be wrong. It's a snap to make during the weekend (less than 1 1/2 hours total), lasts all week long for 2 people eating it every morning, and it probably costs under $20 for 2-3 batches when you shop in the bulk bins. Buying high quality granola gets expensive. Why not make your own?

I got a little hankering for cashews instead of the standard almonds (which I do adore, don't get me wrong). Cashews are just so sweet and buttery, and I knew they would lend themselves well to granola. My standard liquid ratios for the past few weeks have been heavy on maple syrup, and Greg suggested upping the honey instead for this batch. The man is a genius. I don't mind telling you that this might be the best batch so far.

Honey Cashew Granola (by moi)
-3 1/2 cups rolled oats
-1 cup raw, hulled sunflower seeds
-1 1/2 cups cashew pieces (cheaper than whole! woohoo!0
-1/3 cup honey
-1/4 cup maple syrup
-1/4 cup vegetable oil
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1 teaspoon bourbon vanilla
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon barley malt syrup
-1 generous teaspoon blackstrap molasses
-1/2-1 cup raisins, craisins, dried blueberries, or other dried fruit (here, I used a mixture of craisins and dried blueberries, which gives a nice tangy bite!)

1. In a large mixing bowl, mix oats, sunflower seeds and cashews thoroughly.

2. In smaller mixing bowl, whisk together honey, maple syrup, vegetable oil, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, barley malt syrup, and molasses. Combine well.

3. Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and combine well with a wooden spoon. It may take a few minutes of constant stirring to coat each bit evenly.

4. On an edged sheet pan lined with a silpat mat (or parchment paper), pour the granola out, evening it with the spoon. Bake in an oven preheated to 300 for 1 hour, taking care to stir the granola every 10 minutes to prevent burning.

5. Cool on the sheet pan on a cooling rack. When cool, stir in dried fruit. Store in an airtight container.

-Makes at least 14 1/2-cup servings.



6 comments:

Catherine said...

This sounds very healthy and delicious. I think it would be very nice as a cereal.
You have a lovely blog.
Blessings,
Catherine

Ang said...

I love homemade granola with ice cold milk. Great combo!

Medeja said...

Sounds great! And looks really lovely too. I love cashews.. :)

Rosy said...

There is something so perfect about having your own granola on hand for the morning. Yours looks amazing and I love cashews...

briarrose said...

I don't think it's possible to get tired of granola. ;) It just hits the spot every time. Love the cashews.

Joy said...

That looks lovely. I have been meaning making my own granola.

Post a Comment