Orecchiette with Kale, Bacon, and Sundried Tomatoes

|
So, let me tell you what happened to ME last night.

I had tickets to see Snoop Dogg. That's right--THE Snoop Dogg, here in Urbana-Champaign, at a smallish venue. At $30/ticket, I thought it was the deal of the century (more or less). I was so excited, guys. It's a rare day when culture arrives in this city, and I was ready for it. I was a little peeved that the doors opened at 9 (because, c'mon...I'm an old lady at heart), but figured the show would start around 10 and I could be outta there by 12.

Did I mention that, like 3/4 of the country, we were hit with some pretty crapass weather last night (and today, and tomorrow)? This meant that we couldn't really drive to the venue, and instead had to haul ourselves over there on the bus in the icy, sleeting, freezing cold. Allllll of this would have been worth it, but...

Guess who didn't show?

That's right.

Mildly entertaining DJs spun while people filed in. Around 10:30, it finally looked like we were getting somewhere, when two people from Snoop's entourage started rapping onstage. I kept thinking, "Aaaany minute, now, Snoop will join them. Yes. Any minute now." But he didn't. Eventually, those two left the stage. An hour and a half elapsed, and still, no Snoop. Being that it was 12:30am on a MONDAY, I stormed out in a pissy huff. Obviously, I am thrilled about paying $70 for an empty stage. Thanks, Snoop, for a magical evening.

Before we had a maddeningly long and boring evening, I whipped up this Cooking Light pasta dish. After this weekend's fat-filled shenanigans, I figured a calorie-light supper was in order. The issue, of course, is that I still had a package of bacon in my fridge. Cooking Light loves using bacon in marginal doses, and I can definitely get behind that.

This meal is super-fast and easy to make, and has a sharp, unique flavor. It's not a meal for kids, to be sure, but grown ups will love it. Even grown ups who have been soured by an evening of no show big ticket acts. ;)

Orecchiette with Kale, Bacon, and Sundried Tomatoes (from Cooking Light)
-8 ounces uncooked orecchiette pasta
-5 cups bagged prewashed kale
-2 slices center-cut bacon
-1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
-3 large garlic cloves, chopped
-1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
-3/8 teaspoon salt
-1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved
-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes or until almost tender. Add kale, and cook 2 minutes. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.

2. While pasta cooks, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; crumble and set aside. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add sun-dried tomatoes, crushed red pepper, and garlic to drippings in pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add pasta mixture, reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid, black pepper, and salt to pan; toss to combine. Top pasta mixture evenly with bacon and cheese; drizzle evenly with lemon juice.

-Serves 4
-Calories: 350, Fat: 9.2, Protein: 14.7, Carbs: 53.7

10 comments:

Every Little Thing said...

That sounds fab! I'm gonna bookmark it.

That sucks he didn't show! I saw Snoop perform at the Rothbury Festival in 2008 and he was AWESOME!

Roxan said...

Ha ha, that's awesome that you were going to a snoop dogg concert! So sad to hear he didn't make it though, that must have been pretty disappointing.
This dish looks great though, I love orecchiette!

Swathi said...

You make pretty pasta. Looks delicious.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

The meal looks delicious! Totally sucks that Snoop didn't even show! What a drag :( At least you got to have this awesome dinner before the big let down show! Does that help? Nope, didn't think so LOL :)

Ang said...

I love these little ears of pasta:) I like simple ingredients too and I'm thinking my daughter just might eat this:)

Toby said...

I love the simple pasta dish - give me something light over a heavy sauce ANY day!

Evan Thomas said...

This looks great! Kale, bacon, and sun-dried tomatoes must all bring a punch of flavor to the pasta

Susan said...

Great pasta dish! Sorry about the no-show ... he's an ass anyway.

royalewcheeze said...

can't you get a refund, since he didn't show? =(

that looks DELICIOUS, by the way.

Deborah said...

Yeah, I'd be pretty upset - staying out that late in bad weather for nothing! But at least dinner was good!!

Post a Comment