Chipotle-Black Bean Chili

|
I love the smoky, spicy bite of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce. I love that an entire can costs under $2, and that there are multiple whole chiles contained within. The problem is that 1 or 2 of these bad boys pack quite a punch--and then what are you to do with the extras? Freeze them! I found today that the chipotles freeze and defrost beautifully in a tupperware container (freezer burn affects them in no way whatsoever). I've now entered phase two of my experiment: Freezing them a second time.

To ramp up this chili's flavor, I added an extra chipotle chile, a teaspoon of cumin, a little extra salt, and shredded cheddar. It was really pretty spicy, which is the way we like it (but it's easily adjustable). It has great flavor, with that nice smoky aftertaste. I think a lager or dark beer (bock, maybe?) would make a wonderful addition.

Chipotle-Black Bean Chili (modified from Cooking Light)
-1 teaspoon olive oil
-1 cup onion, finely chopped
-6 garlic cloves, minced
-2 tablespoons chili powder
-1 teaspoon cumin
-2 smaller canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced (or 1, if you can't handle spice so well)
-1/4 teaspoon pepper
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
-2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
-1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
-Cilantro sprigs (optional)
-Shredded Cheddar (optional)

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.

2. Add chili powder and next 7 ingredients (chili powder through green chiles); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.

3. Ladle chili into individual bowls, and garnish with cilantro sprigs and cheddar cheese, if desired.

-Serves 4
-Calories: 248, Fat: 2.7g, Carbs: 46.6g, Protein: 13.8g

4 comments:

Susan said...

Lookin' good! I have some chipotle in the fridge that needs using ... maybe this weekend, when I have a crowd ... I do love chili with black beans (mixed with dark red kidneys) ... yummah!

Tiffany said...

This chili makes me want to sing! When you have bold flavors like this, who needs meat???!?!?

Ang said...

This looks great! I actually eat a lot of chili. I love how high in fiber and protein it is and it's just darn right good stuff.

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

Mmm chili... chili always reminds me of my college years in the US... we don't do much of Chili in Singapore...

Post a Comment