Huevos Rancheros Over Jalapeno-Cheddar Waffles

|
When I arrived back from Spain, I had not one, but TWO packages from Foodbuzz. "OOOH! FREE STUFF!!!" I shouted at my poor cat sitter. "I LOVE food blogging!"

As it turns out, one of the two things I received was a coupon for a dozen of Eggland's Best eggs (which I received as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program). I'd purchased Eggland eggs before, but didn't realize that they were nutritionally enhanced. They have less fat, more Omega 3s, and more of Vitamins E, B12, and D than regular eggs. All I remembered was the cute little red stamps on each egg in the carton.

Awww. Precious.

We were challenged to come up with a new recipe using Eggland eggs. I don't think I'm a super creative person in general. There are people in the world who are creators...be it music, art, recipes, technology, etc. Then there are the rest of us who may be good at executing the creator's vision. I tend to think I'm the latter. I'm much better at following and/or adapting recipes. I say all this to explain why "my recipe" is not exactly brand new or exciting. I came up with it on my own, but it's not like either of the two things never existed before me. ;)

Anyway. That aside, I will say this: This meal is DELICIOUS. It is potently spicy, smokey, hearty, and comforting. The textures all work well together. It would be a very heavy brunch meal (which could be okay if you're really hungry, or if you downsized the portions), but it's perfect for a satisfying dinner. It doesn't take too much time to execute if you have help in the kitchen, or if you're good at multitasking. The tricky part, of course, is poaching the eggs in the ranchero sauce. I poached 8 eggs over the course of 2 nights for this meal, and only 1 had a runny yolk. D'oh!

Huevos Rancheros Over Jalapeno-Cheddar Waffles (By Heather....base cornmeal waffles recipe adapted from Paula Deen)
For the Waffles:
-1 3/4 cups flour
-1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon sugar
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon cumin
-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
-3 tablespoons jalapeno, minced
-2 cups buttermilk
-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
-2 large eggs
-1/2 cup shredded cheddar

1. Preheat waffle iron to manufacturer's directions.

2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. Add the jalapeno, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and eggs. Mix thoroughly. Stir in the cheddar.

3. Approximately a generous 1/2 cup of batter per waffle should do the trick in the waffle iron. Cook each until golden-brown. Set aside.

For the Huevos Rancheros:
-About 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
-2 small or 1 large chile in adobo sauce, chopped finely
-1/2 large onion, chopped
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-28 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice reserved
-15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
-2 ounces (roughly 1/2 a can) of diced green chiles
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon cumin
-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
-2 tablespoons dark beer or ale (this is optional, but it adds a little smokiness...if you're drinking beer anyway, you may as well just add it in!)
-8 large eggs
-Shredded cheddar and cilantro to garnish

1. Preheat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, adobo chiles, and garlic. Saute about 5 minutes or until softened.

2. Add green chiles, tomatoes and their juice, beans, salt, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, cocoa and beer. Stir well, partially cover, and let thicken slightly for about 20 minutes at a simmer.

3. When you're ready, gently crack 4 eggs into the sauce. Cover completely and let simmer about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit another 2-3 minutes. The egg whites should be white, not translucent--I think that's probably the key in knowing whether they're "done" or not. Don't overcook them like I did! It's still good, but it was far tastier with a runny yolk. Remove those eggs and cook the next 4 in a similar fashion (OR, if you want, you can reheat the sauce the next day and cook 4 more then--you may need to add a little more beer or chicken stock to get enough sauce to poach on the second day).

-Makes 4-8 servings, depending on the size of your portions.

A big thank you to Foodbuzz and Eggland's Best for the opportunity to test drive these great eggs!

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh, this is SUPER creative! I love rancheros! And the jalapeno-cheddar waffle is genius!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Why, hello, HELLO!! This is definitely my kind of meal!! Fantastic.

Margie said...

I think maybe you underestimate your creative side! That is a bold plate of eggs & waffles, looks delish.

Rochelle said...

I love this idea of mixing Huevos Rancheros and waffles together. It's very creative in my opinion, and you have to realize almost nothing is not new. What's new and creative is that you put them together and you did it on your own :)

Ruth said...

Fantastic idea - looks amazingly tasty!

Jerry said...

Wow I am so ready to dig into some of that heavos rancheros and waffles. Looks almost too good to pass up. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

athriftyfoodie said...

mmm,I just love mexican!!

bakingmehungry said...

this looks amazing. i'm looking forward to trying this!

Post a Comment