Peanut Butter Cup Blondies

|
I am starting school again this week. A lot of the mommy bloggers are putting up posts about nice treats to give their kids on the first day of school, yummy lunch treats, etc. Sadly, my mommy is not here in IL to make me yummy first-day-of-school treats. So, I (albeit unconsciously) took it upon myself to make some serious noms for school/work/just because I really, really, really wanted them.

When I opened up this month's Cooking Light and saw the words "Peanut Butter Cup" and "Blondies" together in one recipe title, I had to jam a fist in my mouth to stop myself from screaming. A little known fact about Heather is that she loves her some cookie bars. I don't know why, but cookies in bar-form just taste better. Blondies are preferable to brownies in most cases. And if you throw peanut butter AND peanut butter cups up in that mix, I will be all over it. As in, I showed it to my husband and then went out to buy peanut butter cups. All over it like that.

Me, being "all over" the blondies. Sneakily.

My major beef with this recipe is that it's not TRULY Cooking Light. You're supposed to cut a 9" pan into 20 pieces. It's not fudge, Cooking Light. They're blondies. People don't want a dinky 1.5" square. That's just sad. And in looking at the recipe, the peanut butter isn't reduced-fat, the milk isn't skim or 1%, etc. It seems full-fat, just with reduced portions. So...just get used to the idea that this isn't really a "light" recipe unless you have the self-control to only eat 1 tiny portion per day.

Peanut Butter Cup Blondies (from Cooking Light)
-5 3/5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
-1 cup granulated sugar
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
-1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
-2 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat milk
-2 large eggs, lightly beaten
-1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (**I used dark chocolate chips. Sooooo good.**)
-Cooking spray
-4 (0.75-ounce) peanut butter cups, coarsely chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients (through salt), stirring well with a whisk. Combine peanut butter and next 4 ingredients (through eggs), stirring well. Add peanut butter mixture to flour mixture; stir until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

3. Scrape the batter into a 9-inch square metal baking pan lightly coated with cooking spray, and arrange the peanut butter cups over batter. Bake at 350° for 19 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool in pan on a wire rack.

-Serves "20," unless you love yourself enough to give yourself more than a 1.5" piece.



4 comments:

S.V. said...

These look super good. I agree with you seriously you can't get 20 pieces out of a 9 inch pan. Unless they are suppose to be petit four size :)

Jamie said...

These look soooo good. And you're right about Cooking Light, you gotta watch the ingredients/portions they are super tricky that way!! LOL at 20 servings from a 9x9...

d.n.williamson said...

I see these in my near future...

Butrcreamblondi said...

20 servings from a 9" pan - hilarious! Not in my house! These do look awesome though! Love blondies & I love em even more with peanut butter cups :)

Post a Comment