Thai Chicken Noodle Soup

|


Hello!

Do you watch My Drunk Kitchen?  If not, you should.  That's essentially what you can imagine going on when I'm cooking (particularly if I'm cooking for a crowd).  Anyway, the way she says "HELL-O!" is how I'm saying hello to you above.

Also, I want to marry her.

Ahem.

Anywho, my semester from hell has wrapped up.  And now I have time to do the following things:
1) Breathe--and not just into a paper bag!
2) Exercise
3) Drink without sobbing into my glass
4) Cook
5) Take photos of food
6) Photoshop the photos
7) Write blog entries
8) Sleep without waking up in a panic
9) Do laundry
10) Shower and get dressed on the weekend (though, as I continue to prove, that's totally optional)

I have several posts to make up for, but I'll start with this Thai Chicken Soup modified somewhat from Cooking Light.  It called to me from those glossy pages like a siren in the night.  So comforting....so spicy and citrusy...so full of bok choy (yes, please)...so NOT fattening.

I ended up adding more flavoring.  For instance, what self-respecting Thai recipe doesn't have fish sauce?  I also put in some chili-garlic sauce because I had it on hand.  That was a good choice.  I would suggest adding more broth (and then upping the spices/flavoring even more).  There was very little liquid for the amount of chicken and bok choy.  Though...I will admit, I put more of that in than it calls for, too.  Make it a meal, people!


Thai Chicken Noodle Soup (modified from Cooking Light)
-1 teaspoon olive oil
-3 tablespoons minced shallots
-2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
-1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh (or jarred fresh) ginger
-1 (14.5-ounce) can fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
-3 (5-inch) pieces peeled fresh lemongrass, crushed with the back of a heavy knife
-2 cups water (**I'm thinking more chicken broth would be good in place of some of the water, especially if you add extra liquid**)
-2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast  (**I poached my own chicken breasts with a little salt and pepper and shredded it.  It takes almost no extra time.**)
-2 cups chopped bok choy  (**I put in 3 cups**)
-1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
-1/4 cup small fresh basil leaves
-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
-1-2 teaspoons fish sauce, to taste  (**I used one teaspoon, but may do more in the future**)
-1-2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce, to taste (**I used one teaspoon, but may do more in the future**)
-1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
-2 cups hot cooked rice noodles (such as Annie Chun's)
-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste

1. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add garlic and ginger; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.

2. Add broth; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add lemongrass and 2 cups water to broth mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.

3. Stir in chicken and bok choy; simmer 5 minutes. Discard lemongrass. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro, basil, lime juice, fish sauce, chili-garlic sauce, and salt. Taste broth and adjust seasoning as needed.  Place 1/2 cup noodles in each of 4 bowls; top each serving with 1 1/4 cups soup. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.

-6 servings

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That looks delicious. I love the addition of chili-garlic sauce, that stuff is soooo delicious.

I have this weird aversion to lemon grass, though, do you think if I upped the other seasonings (like the garlic, ginger, fish sauce) that it would be okay?

Heather said...

I'm not sure how much the lemongrass contributes to the overall flavor (I do love it, though). Perhaps you could do something like a substitute of other flavors that approximate lemongrass (http://talkshare-kay.blogspot.com/2008/01/lemongrass-substitute.html), or doctor it up differently with a little lemon juice and thai basil or something. I'd be interested to hear how it turns out. I can't imagine it wouldn't still be tasty.

Post a Comment