Braised Coconut Spinach & Chickpeas with Lemon over Roasted Sweet Potatoes

|


If you're like me--and I bet you are--you spend every waking moment on Pinterest.  That damn Pinterest.  What a revelation.  What a wonderful time suck.  

Probably my most-attended-to board on Pinterest is my "Noms" board.  Here's a link if you're curious: http://pinterest.com/seymourbutts/noms/

Yes, my name on it is "Seymour Butts."  Don't judge me for my love of classic Simpsons quotes.

Anyway, at one point, I pinned a list of 10 Weeknight Chickpea Dinners from The Kitchn.  It is marvelous.  I love chickpeas SO much that I could hardly contain my joy, much less begin to pick out which recipe to make first.  This one won.

Unfortunately, I decided to buy two bunches of spinach to get the amount I needed, rather than buying two bags of spinach like I normally would.  I love the prewashed-ed-ness of bagged spinach because I am lazy, even though it sets off a bomb in my guilty environmentalist brain.  Long story short: I thought I washed the spinach adequately, but there is a reason those bags say "Triple Washed."  My spinach was. so. gritty.

It kind of ruined the meal for me, because there is not much less appealing than taking a bite of creamy roasted sweet potatoes, gingered coconut milk, and hearty chickpeas only to choke down sand, dirt, and god knows what else.  It is deeply disappointing, so I advise that you wash that spinach until your skin is chapped.  Take it out back and turn the fire hose on it.  And then wash it one more time.  THEN make this recipe (and don't walk away from the stove and overcook the spinach...that's just salt (or sand, as it was!) in the wound).  


Braised Coconut Spinach & Chickpeas with Lemon over Roasted Sweet Potatoes (by the Kitchn)
-2 teaspoons oil or ghee
-1 small yellow onion
-4 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
-1 tablespoon grated ginger, from a 3-inch piece
-1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
-1 large lemon, zested and juiced (about 2 tablespoons juice)
-1 dried hot red pepper or dash of red pepper flakes (optional
-15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
-1 pound baby spinach
-14-ounce can coconut milk
-1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
-1 teaspoon ground ginger

To serve:
-Whole roasted sweet potatoes
-Cilantro leaves, to garnish 
-Toasted unsweetened coconut, to garnish  (tooootally optional--I didn't do that)

1. Heat the oil or ghee in a large, deep Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is beginning to brown. Add the garlic, ginger, sun-dried tomatoes, lemon zest and red pepper, if using. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Add the chickpeas and cook over high heat for a few minutes or until the chickpeas are beginning to turn golden and they are coated with the onion and garlic mixture.

3. Toss in the spinach, one handful at a time. This will take about 5 minutes; stir in a handful or two and wait for it to wilt down and make room in the pot before adding the next handful. When all the spinach has been stirred in, pour in the coconut milk and stir in the salt, ground ginger, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer then turn down the heat and cook for 10 minutes or until the chickpeas are warm through. Taste and add more salt and lemon juice, if necessary.

4. Serve hot over roasted sweet potatoes, with cilantro leaves and toasted unsweetened coconut to garnish.

Serving note: This is thick enough to eat on its own with a fork; it's not terribly soupy. But it's saucy enough to eat over pasta, rice, brown rice, quinoa, or another grain.

-Serves 4

1 comments:

Lori said...

I have had that happen to me as well hate that:-) I made something similar to this a recipe from Ellie Krieger. I hate that you really could not enjoy it.

Post a Comment